Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Markets


The thing that I have come to the conclusion that I love most about Germany is Christmas markets or Weinachtsfests. They are probably the thing that definitely makes me love Germany more. They kind of remind me of the fairs back home but they are a million times better because it involves Christmas. So far I've been to the one in Mannheim, Stuttgart, Esslingen, Uberlingen, and Maastricht (even though it's in the Netherlands). 
There are shops that have everything imaginable from incense to wool socks to Christmas ornaments. In all honesty I’ve gotten the majority of my gifts for my friends and families from the Christmas festivels. They also have The BEST food. I’ve had bratwurst, crepes, mushrooms with garlic sauce and my favorite candied nuts. Instead of eggnog around the Christmas holidays German’s drink Gluhwein. This is a drink that is served warm and is basically wine but so much better as well as it warms you up. Translated it directly means glow wine which is what you will get when you drink it.
Another thing that takes place, at least in Stuttgart, is that people will perform music in all types of languages. In Stuttgart Jim and I saw a yodeler, Mexican carolers and little children playing instruments and gaining experience. I love this time of year and I really sad that my family doesn’t get to experience this because it makes me appreciate the holidays more.
Here are some pics that have been taken of me or taken by me at a number of Christmas fests.

This is from Mannheim


Maien and I eating amazing mushrooms

Stuttgart

Me at Stuttgart and all the snow!



Stuttgart's sign


If you look close enough you can see the girl playing a clarinet :)

here was the Yodelers in Stuttgart that we saw

No comments:

Post a Comment